Transition Planning

Transition planning


Transition planning begins as soon as students enter our school. Transition teachers and school-based staff collaborate with families to develop and implement an individualized transition plan for each student. This early collaboration with families ensures that the student's current needs are met as well as plan for a proper post-secondary placement. Regular communication with family helps ensure all goals are met and students are on track to meet post-secondary goals.

After High School Planning

Transition out of High School

For students with IEPs, “Transition” means planning for adulthood. Planning should begin when students turn 12. It should continue every year until a student either:

  • Graduates, or
  • Turns 21 years of age

Transitioning focuses on improving students’:

  • Academic achievement
  • Functional achievement

And it involves preparing students for further education, employment, and/or independent living.

It is a student-centered process. That means that it addresses the unique strengths, needs, and preferences of each student.

Graduation or Reaching Age 21

Students with IEPs may attend school until they graduate or until the end of the school year in which they turn 21. During your child's final year of high school, you should receive an exit summary. The exit summary will include information about your child’s:

  • Abilities
  • Skills
  • Needs
  • Limitations

Recommendations are made on how to assist your child in meeting their post-secondary goals. These recommendations may be in the areas of:

  • Establishing eligibility for reasonable accommodations and supports in post-secondary settings, the workplace, and the community;
  • Accessing appropriate adult services;
  • Understanding the impact of your child's disability; and/or
  • Communicating your child's strengths and needs, including supports that would be helpful in post-school life.

College Considerations for Students with Disabilities

There are no IEPs in college. Students with disabilities may choose to seek the support of a college or university’s disability office. If the student is found eligible, the disability office will develop an accommodation plan based on the documentation that the student provides. Colleges or universities are not required to provide modifications, which may alter the content that students are required to learn.

Find more information on college considerations here, College and Career Planning page 

Agencies, Services and Resources

With parental consent (or the consent of a student who is 18 years of age or older), the school may invite a representative of an agency that can help provide or pay for transition services. If an invited agency’s representative is unable to attend, the team must take other steps to involve the agency. Below is a list of some agencies, services or resources that may be involved in a student’s transition.

  • Adult Career and Continuing Education Services-Vocational Rehabilitation: Works with students, families and school districts to coordinate appropriate services for students with disabilities who are leaving secondary education and entering adult vocational rehabilitation, work opportunities, and/or related services. Find more information here, Adult Career and Continuing Education Services-Vocational Rehabilitation

Find more information here, Adult Career and Continuing Education Services-Vocational Rehabilitation

  • The New York State Office for People With Developmental Disabilities (OPWDD): Responsible for coordinating services for New Yorkers with developmental disabilities. These include:
    • intellectual disabilities
    • cerebral palsy
    • autism spectrum disorders,
    • other neurological impairments.

Find more information on OPWDD here, The New York State Office for People With Developmental Disabilities

There are no age limits for requesting OPWDD eligibility. However, it's important to do so when students turn 18 so that they can receive adult services.

  • The Office of Mental Health(OMH): Promotes the mental health and well-being of all New Yorkers. They also support children and families in their social and emotional development. 

Find more information on OMH here, The Office of Mental Health

  • New York State Commission for the Blind (NYSCB): This service works to:
    • enhance employability
    • maximize independence
    • assist in the development of people who are legally blind.

Find more information on NYSCB here, New York State Commission for the Blind

  • INCLUDE NYC: Its Parent Center works with families and children with all disabilities, across all boroughs. They help families understand, navigate, and access the services and resources students need to develop to their full potential.

Find more information on INCLUDE NYC here, INCLUDE NYC

Read more about the NYCDOE D75 transition planning steps and guidelines. After High School Planning